Thursday 14 March 2013

Fay and Fiona

OK I know that title is a bit strange but there is a good reason.

Let's start with Fiona.  She's a Scottish ultra runner who is seriously ill at the minute - and not for the first time.  She's a lovely woman who needs all the support she can get, and if she reads this she should know that I really do wish her all the best.  I know she'll make a full recovery - she's a tough cookie, that one.

Now let's move on to Fay.  On Tuesday evening, at home, we had a little 'episode'.  Well, quite a major episode as it turned out.  She began feeling unwell at about 6:00pm and at 7:45pm I phoned for an ambulance which took us to the A & E in Leeds.

We were there until 3 o'clock the following morning when the doctors finally managed to sort out what was wrong and get things under control.  I'm not going to go into great detail (you really don't want me to ...) but the problem was that the new contraception we're using had caused a blood disorder.

For a menstruating woman, having blood that doesn't clot is not good.

Happy to report that everything is under control now but it was quite scary on Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning.

There was light hearted moment when we finally got home though.  Fay said to me:  "I know you're supposed to go for a run after breakfast but why don't you go now (4 am).  You're tired and it's dark outside, it'll be just like a 24 hour race.  You'll enjoy it."

I politely declined on the grounds that I was too tired.  But really I wanted to keep an eye on her to make sure everything was OK.  It is, and everything's back to normal.

No comments: