Thursday 30 September 2010

Recovery has gone very well and now I have my first test on Saturday afternoon - running for Otley AC in the North of England 6 stage relay in Manchester.

Although I'm running well I feel as though I'm lacking a bit of sharpness.  I suppose that's to be expected as I haven't done a lot of speedwork since Perth.

I'm looking forward to it though, we have two teams and I think it's important for clubs to support these type of relays.  We don't expect to come anywhere near the front but that's not the point.  I don't expect to run the 5.6k in less than 21 minutes but, again, that's not the point.  For me it's a good workout and it's about helping the club get a team together (or two this year).

Bought a fantastic new CD earlier this week.  It's the debut album by a new band called Black Country Communion.  Full of good songs but one in particular, in my own strange way, I can relate to my running - Perth in particular.

At times the singer, Glenn Hughes, tends to sound a little like Carl Anderson ... but that's not a bad thing as I always thought he was the best singer in the film Jesus Christ Superstar.  Glenn's bass playing is reminiscent of   Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) but he's been playing that way since the late 1960s.  Joe Bonamassa plays his guitar like the maestro that he is ... it's hard to believe that he wasn't born when Glenn was in one of the world's biggest rock groups - Deep Purple.  Jason Bonham is excellent on the drums and Derek Sherinian is ... well you can't really pick him out on most of the album but I'm sure the overall sound would be lacking something if he wasn't there.

ONE LAST SOUL
You were born in a Jet Stream
Down in South Caroline
Got a Role in the big scheme
Now you're ready to shine

chorus -
You're the one last soul
Who can win it
You're the one last soul
If you try
You're the one last soul
If you live it
You're the one last soul
Tell you why
And if you feel
What you got
You can give it
One last soul
Make me cry
You're the one last soul
Who can win it
You're the one last soul
If you try

Now you burn
Like a freight train
You're a bird on a wire
See you drivin' me insane
And I couldn't get higher

chorus


And when you get
What you want
Don't regret it
One last soul
Make me cry
You're the one last soul
Who can win it
You're the one last soul

And if you feel
What you got
You can give it
One last soul
Make me cry
You're the one last soul

music:  Glenn Hughes and Joe Bonamassa
lyric:  Glenn Hughes
published by:  Smokin' Joe Analog Co (ASCAP), Stamford Bridge (BMI)



Amazing stuff, I'm really looking forward to seeing them live.  Hopefully sometime over the winter.

No comments: