Thursday 2 July 2009

long runs

Yesterday morning I had a good long hilly run around Fewston and Swinsty Reservoirs.  Although the paths around the reservoirs are not really hilly - they're not flat though - and the road to/from my house also includes some serious climbing.

I knew the weather was going to be hot so I decided to run in the coolest part of the day - morning.  When I left home at 8.30am the thermometer showed 19 degrees C (68 degrees F) in the shade.  On the exposed hill top roads of the first and last five miles it was quite a bit hotter.  The trails were excellent and had lots of trees providing nice shade.  A really enjoyable run in one of my favourite local places.

When I arrived back home at 11.50am (after 21+ miles of running) the temperature had risen to 24 degrees C (75 degrees F).

This is the area where Otley AC stage their annual Washburn Valley Relay.

Today I decided on a different route of exactly the same distance (21+ miles).  This time I ran up the valley to Chelker Reservoir and back.  Not as hilly but with a bad climb at the far side of Addingham.  Included in this run was 10 x 5 minutes at 10k pace - hard work but enjoyable.  I left home at 8.30am again when the temperature was 20 degrees C (68 degrees F).  When I got back home at 11.25am the temperature had risen to 22 degrees C (72 degrees F) but it was far sunnier than yesterday.

Only nine days to go before my next race - Hull 24 hr track race (but, as you know, I'm only running 100 miles).

No comments: