Friday 28 November 2008

Plans for 2009

First of all an apology for not posting sooner. A few days ago I badly twisted my knee descending a ladder after putting some shelves up at home. Swollen with minor ligament damage - nothing too serious but enough to stop me running for a week or two.

Now ... onto next year. So far in my ultra running career (which began in late 2005) I've competed seriously in one 40 mile track race and five 24 hour races. I've also competed [but not seriously] in two 50 mile trail races. After my last race - London about six weeks ago - I took some time out and decided that 2009 should be different.

After looking around at all the options and lots of different websites/blogs I've decided that I'd like, once again, to raise money for charity. Most of you will be aware by now that I had cancer back in the 1990s so that seems the obvious choice. However, unlike most people apparently, I don't like to raise money by doing something within my comfort zone. So ...

There's a 48 hour race in Athens, Greece beginning on Wednesday 8 April 2009 and I plan to use this race threefold:

- raise money for a cancer charity to be decided shortly
- a new challenge for me
- to show the selectors of the England team for the Commonwealth Championships that I am fit

After that I can fit in another race in June or July before the Commonwealth Championships in mid September and then the fun filled end of year mudbath which is the Round Rotherham 50.

Lots to organise then. Travel to Athens and accommodation for myself and crew (have already asked Phil Robertson of Otley AC), choosing a suitable charity, sponsorship, fundraising, press, etc.

I'd like to thank Dan Rose for turning me onto fundraising again. He's done wonders raising over $7500 this year after suffering cancer in 2004.

Of course, plans could change if UK Athletics select me for the World and European Championships in Ciserano [Italy] on 2 May 2009. Personally I think that's unlikely though as in recent years qualifying standards have been higher than my 228k.

No comments: